Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Crouching Tiger


It's the Chinese New Year and 2010 is the Year of the Tiger. Browsing through descriptions of tiger years one encounters words and phrases like "tumultuous," "turbulent," "big changes ahead," and "rough waters."

I've always liked the Chinese calendar because of its association with animals. I always thought it fortuitous that I was born in the Year of the Horse. I was a horse-obsessed girl who still kind of thinks it was significant that the last Triple Crown win took place in my birth year.

Whether or not you find astrological chatter informative or entertaining, it's interesting to think about the implications what might be an upcoming roller coaster of a year. For me that's a given. It's the year my book debuts. Before the year even turned I was eyeing 2010 with excitement and trepidation. I'm not surprised that a jungle cat is perched in the trees above, waiting to spring on the unwary passerby. It's February and I'm already well into the wild ride though my book isn't out until October. But the advice associated with the tiger is to have patience and meet obstacles with strength and steadiness - to remember that rather than subduing us, challenging can bring out our best qualities. Good advice in any circumstance.

So if a tiger is lurking in the darkness, I'll be ready to take it on but I hope to find it more friend than foe.

4 comments:

  1. good post...i personally have always been in denial about being born in the year of the monkey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see "Crouching Tiger," I think of an old friend whose mom thought the movie was "Crunchy Tiger."

    This has no bearing on your post, but I thought of it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - We will be tiger warriors together!

    Garth - Don't diss the monkey! They are described as the 'erratic geniuses' of the Chinese astrological cycle. If you go here you'll see how awesome you are: http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/Monkey.htm

    Carrie - Ha! And I am very excited about the undead at our boat show book signings

    ReplyDelete