Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wilderness Survival Tips


The Wild. It's big, it's beautiful, it's scary, it's exciting - and NIGHTSHADE is out in it.

Penguin thrilled me by printing special edition ARCs for the ALA Midwinter meeting and giving them out to conference attendees. I'm just starting to receive tweets and notes from the lovely people who got a copy and are reading it, which is so freakin' amazing I think my head might explode. Thanks so much to those of you who've written to tell me how much you love NIGHTSHADE!!!

Since the book is in the Wild, I think it would be wise to establish my author's guide to wilderness safety (a.k.a blog rules now that NIGHTSHADE is circulating).

ANDREA'S WILDERNESS SAFETY GUIDE (New Blog Regulations)

Be prepared. [To bite your tongue - NO SPOILERS]

NIGHTSHADE is full of twists, turns, shocks, and head-spinners. Please don't ruin the experience for anyone else by posting questions or comments that reveal the plot. Any spoilery comments will be eaten [deleted].

Respect wildlife. [Be nice to other books]

As NIGHTSHADE peeks out of its den and makes its first forays into the deep, dark woods there are many other critters on the same journey. Writing books is a labor of love (and pain) and taste varies widely. When commenting, it's fine to say "NIGHTSHADE reminded me of, or it creates excitement like," but please don't trash other authors or books by way of trying to give me a compliment. That only makes all the woodland critters sad.

Don't feed the animals. [Be nice to each other]


Along those same lines, please keep comments respectful. Good books should engender strong reactions. That's great! But please respect your fellow writers, readers, and the blogging community by playing nice at all times. Which means:

NO

YES

If you wander off the trail, call the Ranger outpost. [Ask the author!]

Although I will patrol the blog for spoilers, I'm always happy to answer plot/character/world questions via email. So if you do want to discuss/ask/learn more about NIGHTSHADE and think you can't ask here, please send a message to andreacremerwrites (at) gmail (dot) com

Most importantly, enjoy the spectacular (I hope) sights and sounds!

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this was a small, special run of ARCs. Official ARCs will be printed this spring, and at that time I host contests/giveaways - I can't wait!

8 comments:

  1. That's pretty exciting. I can't wait to read your book. This post reminded me of Margaret Atwood's Wildneress Tips (though a different angle). I'm sure everyone will behave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to when it comes out and great post. I completely agree! Adorable pictures to illustrate your points. I love the wolves and the cute little kitty. *Is still imagining how some parents might feel looking down at their adorable children who are asking the same question as the kitty*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so fun! Congrats on your ARC feedback, Andrea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!!!

    Yvonne - I haven't seen Margaret Atwood's tips, so I'll have to check that out; she's one of my favorite writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post.

    Congratulations on the "birth of your baby" hehehe.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! That's so exciting. I have a nervous little knot in my stomach just thinking about it! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very neat about the conference books. But, look what they did to promote it!
    Looking forward to this new contest !
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete