Thursday, January 14, 2010

NYC Play by Play

I'm here! I'll be updating this post as events transpire, but here's what we have so far:

Last night, arrived at JFK 30 minutes earlier than expected courtesy of a 'strong tail wind,' I guess Mother Nature knew how much I wanted to get here. Thanks, Mama!

Checked in at my hotel, the Algonquin, which I selected both for its proximity to InkWell and its storied literary heritage.

Had a lovely dinner with friend from childhood. He may be a corporate lawyer in Manhattan now, but I still have fond memories of gathering frog eggs and chasing through the woods with him when we were six.

Managed to get a good night's sleep despite the fact that Army of Darkness tried to tempt me to watch it at 1 a.m.
Headed out for a morning bagel, only to run into Agent Charlie at the cafe. Surprise!! So much fun to meet him unexpectedly and also, he bought me breakfast. Mmmm, delicious everything bagel with veggie cream cheese. Thanks, Charlie!

Now I'm realizing that one cup of coffee is not enough, so I'll be going out in search of further caffeination prior to my meeting at InkWell at 10:30.

More to come!

UPDATE: 3:03 p.m. EST

Wow. Okay, just wow. I am still too dazed from the incrediawesomfabulosity that was my meeting at Penguin. They took me out for lunch and toasted me (aaaaaaaaa!!!!!) What's more I can't imagine a more wonderful, fantastic, brilliant group of people to partner with on this book. They are amazing and now I consider them my extended family - big hugs Penguin family!!!
(Though I didn't have a camera, my agent kindly snapped this photo. Yay - me and Winnie-the-Pooh at Penguin! Ahem and that expression = me trying to smile and yet not scream whilst jumping up and down)


I didn't have to worry about running into my publisher's arms shrieking, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" because he immediately ran over and hugged me :)

I'm still floating a little too high above the ground to post coherently but I'll send more soon. For now: Hooray, hooray, hooray!

Oooh, AND they gave me a board of the cover (aaaaaaa!!!) and an ARC (aaaaaaaa!!!!)

Update: 10:05 a.m., Friday, January 15

Woke up this morning to discover that yesterday's blur of fabulous times was in fact NOT a dream. Hooray!

This morning - work beckons, research at the New York Public Library. Hopefully I won't run into any problems like this:



Have a great weekend everyone! A New York trip run-down will be posted Monday :)

6 comments:

  1. What a kick, running into Charlie! I'm glad your trip is going well! Have fun! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous. Glad you're having fun. Also glad I'll be in NYC in just a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have been away for a few days. Didn't know you were visiting NY. How fun to follow along through your blog! Have a wonderful time, and teach us everything you learn about meeting with your agents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're staying at the Algonquin!! I went there for pastry and coffee once and tried to drink in the history with my brew. Yay, for the chance meeting; it's serendipitious (or even if it's not, I love the sound of it being so)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are going well there. Keep up the fun and update us. I think it's funny to see people all grown up, even after remembering all their silly little adventures as a child. I'm sure your friend was amazed with you and your adult-ness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. This trip has been fantastic!

    ReplyDelete