Monday, October 12, 2009

Octobrrrr

We lost fall. I don't know how it happened.

After the warmest September on record, October arrived in a cloak of winter. Temperatures dropped 30 degrees overnight and this morning:
The first time it happened was Saturday, but I'd hoped it had been a fluke. But today there's no deluding myself. Winter is here.
Minnesota has a reputation for being a frozen wasteland 11 months out of the year, but that's a lie. It's only a frozen wasteland in January and February (okay and sometimes March). Most of the year we have glorious weather.

And autumn is the best of all. But this year we're missing it and it's breaking my heart. Leaves blanketed in snow are still green. I haven't walked along the Mississippi to gaze at sun-dappled reds, golds, and bronzes reflected in the river's surface.If you need me, I'll be sulking.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww...when I checked facebook this morning all my MN contacts were talking about this. I remember the weather being awful but this is really too much...if it gets too bad you always have a home in warm Peru =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drove over the Franklin bridge the other day and saw all the fire-orange leaves - it's amazing how the stretch of river right across from Prospect Park seems to be the most beautiful and colorful in fall!

    Also, I would include at least December and March (and maybe April and November) in the frozen wasteland category.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fio - I may be on a plane soon

    Tanya - yes Prospect Park river views are the best. Re: troublesome weather months; your California standards are simply too high, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete